Monday, February 22, 2010

Yay! It worked!

If at first... right?! Challah - it worked! I have to give many thanks to my children, who enoyed the challah I made two Shabboses ago to insist(politely and respectfully) that I try it again. So I did, this time using a cool Israeli product, Shimrit, which is granulated fresh yeast, and you can buy it in a dual pack with dough conditioner. I sort of had to guess at what I was doing, but it came out great! Here are the unbaked loaves,

and here they are after a vacation in the oven:I will openly admit that they are not the epitome of beauty - not what I would envision, but frankly, they were delicious and beautifully textured, and they just made us all very happy. I guess now I can say I do bake challah...

I also can say that I make soup - kubbeh soup, to be exact. After thinking about it for a while, and doing a bunch of research (there are lots of varieties of kubbeh, not to mention kubbeh soups), I decided to make a variation of red kubbeh soup. This recipe included beets, carrots, celery, onions, sweet potatoes, zucchini, lemon juice, and a tomato base,with, of course frozen kubbeh, which, lucky for me, were on sale in the supermarket. Having never tasted the real thing, the soup was probably a ridiculously American-Ashkenazi-fied version, but we all loved it. The picture is not pretty, and the bowl is messy, but we did not care.


Next post, I will fill you in on last week's baking exploits - lots of cookies were baked, lots of sugar consumed.

Dvora

No comments:

If you like the pictures you see here but would love to see more updated photos, make sure to check out our Facebook page! In the meantime, we will do our best to keep the blog a little more current.