Thursday, December 9, 2010

Feliz cumpleanos!

This next cake was a Mexican themed cake, for a woman who is learning Spanish to complement her husband's job in Texas, close to the Mexico border. The specifications: the flag of Mexico, and a sombrero. Beyond that, it was up to me. So I had some fun with it, but only a little, as it was a rather last minute order.

I had thought the Mexican flag was simple and straightforward, but then I Googled it and found it was rather intricate, with an elaborate crest in the middle. I did my best impressionist rendering of it, and this photo is thankfully rather blurry.The sombrero came out very cute and cartoon-y. I chose a font that is reminiscent of Mexico and that was a lot of fun to do. I added cacti and chili peppers to the sides, and voila! Admittedly, this cake could have used a little more decoration on top, like a chili pepper or two, but all in all a very cute cake, even given the super fast turn-around time. I amped up the Mexican character of the chocolate cake by filling the layers with a Mexican chocolate filling - flavors of coffee and cinnamon accenting the chocolate cream, soooo goooood! I could totally have eaten it by the spoonful, if I was not so careful to make correct quantities without leftovers.

Happy Birthday, Yael - or Feliz cumpleanos, Jael!
Dvora

No comments:

If you like the pictures you see here but would love to see more updated photos, make sure to check out our Facebook page! In the meantime, we will do our best to keep the blog a little more current.