Saturday, October 31, 2009

Fifty nifty

Wow - don't know how it happened, but this blog now has fifty posts on it! Guess I like seeing my own words in print. So this is post number 51 - keyn yirbu. To all my loyal readers who have not identified yourselves - Hi! Love having you here, and would love even more to hear from you. If you do not want to be listed as a follower (as we can't really figure out what the advantage is, besides having your picture show up on the page), leave a comment and say hi!

The rain has finally showed itself. Friday was a day that should have been erev Parashat Noach - it was that rainy. I foolishly left for the bakery and makolet just as the rain was starting, thinking that it would subside quickly, and knowing it was the only availble time for me that day. The mabul started before I even made it inside. By the time I was done with my errands, the water was absolutely gushing down the street, about three inches high by the curb. I was soaked from the ankle down. Then I decided that it was close enough to dismissal at the elementary school that I should do something I swore never to do - drive to school to pick up Dani and Lola. I was literally afraid that they (read:Ariella) would get hurt walking home in the pouring rain and crossing the flooded streets. Suffice it to say, it was an adventure that left me soaking wet anywhere my jacket wasn't. And it took about 25 minutes to get home, because of all the traffic at the school, which is at most a three minute ride on a regular day. Next time, we make a better plan.

Preparations for Shabbat were very delayed this week, especially since I had less help than usual, and lost a lot of time from running out in the rain. But Shabbat arrived, so we had to be ready. Dinner was a quick affair. Ariella slept in David's bed - her big Shabbat treat when Abba is away - which usually causes her to sleep later in the morning. But not this Shabbat - this week, she woke up at 6:30, and proceeded to update me as to the time. "Imma, it's 6:32. Imma, it's 6:34. Imma, now the clock says 6:37." No matter what I said, she would not stop, nor could I get her to leave. Aaaarghh!

Shul was quiet, despite the absence of most of the gabbaim. The lone hold-out, Naftali, looked wasted at the end of shul, but was very gracious about all of his colleagues who abandoned him. We went to Yocheved's for lunch, where we had a very good time. By the time I got home, there was not a lot left of Shabbat. Now we are settling in for the night, and looking forward to a good week.

I added a few new flavors to the menu this week. Lemon glazed ginger crisps - thin, crisp sugar cookies full of lots of candied ginger, with a tart lemon glaze drizzled on top. The two flavors, the heat of the ginger and the cool of the lemon, meld together really well.Next is chocolate cream sandwich cookies: chocolate cookies with a hint of almond, glazed with a sprinkling of sugar, filled with a whipped chocolate ganache.

Finally, oatmeal cookies with dried cherries - chewy and yummy, a step above oatmeal raisin! A store nearby finally started pitting their dried cherries, and they are so delicious.

And that is the tale - not much else to tell.

Shavua tov!

Dvora

No comments:

If you like the pictures you see here but would love to see more updated photos, make sure to check out our Facebook page! In the meantime, we will do our best to keep the blog a little more current.