Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Siman tov u'mazal tov

David and I just returned from the first wedding of the week - the daughter of friends of ours from the yishuv. The wedding was beautiful and the couple were absolutely adorable. Wishing lots of nachat to everyone. I enjoyed a rager of a headache from pretty much the first minute we arrived, but thanks to a couple of Tylenol and rum and diet coke, I was able to make it through without passing out or throwing up. TMI, perhaps? In any case, I sat at a great table full of friends and was happy to be there to celebrate. One of my former students, Ahuva, was here for the wedding as a friend of the kallah, both from high school and seminary. It was great to see her, though I must admit that it definitely ages me. Tomorrow is another wedding, of a family friend, and Thursday is Ariella's mesibat siyum. B"H for smachot, though it can be exhausting. Better this than the alternative.

Today was mostly spent baking and frosting a bar mitzvah cake, which gets delivered to the customer tomorrow. It is a sefer torah with tefillin sitting on top. The last time I made a sefer torah I swore that I would never attempt it again, and this time I just swore. It is very difficult to get super-smooth icing on a cake that is shaped like this. That just offends the compulsive perfectionist part of me. Also, the roll cake parts that form the scrolls are a big pain because their composition makes them slippery, preventing the buttercream from "wanting" to stick to the cake. But I hope it comes out well, and makes the baalei simcha very happy. Tomorrow is decoration morning, so I will post b"h soon.

For those who asked: Shana's bagrut is over, and she thinks it went well. Now is a lot of waiting. A matkonet, which I mentioned previously, is a test giving by the high school to check skills and prepare students for the test. Two are given shortly before a bagrut, and their grades are worked in with the year's performance to create a grade for the whole year. Then the year grade is balanced with the bagrut grade to give kids a fair shot in case they have a bad day for the bagrut. At least that is what my little olah chadasha brain understands...

And that's all folks - and yes, I am going to sleep, so never worry, never fear. G'night
Dvora

No comments:

If you like the pictures you see here but would love to see more updated photos, make sure to check out our Facebook page! In the meantime, we will do our best to keep the blog a little more current.