Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Is it wrong to have this much fun at work?

I know that it is a good thing to enjoy what you do - in fact, it is a blessing. But the amount of fun I had making this next cake should be illegal. And at the risk of getting myself in trouble with my eldest, I made it all by myself!! I guess her abilities are rubbing off on me, at least a little bit. And with all the school and work she has these day, it's probably a good thing I stand on my own two (less creative and talented than her) feet.


This cake was for a birthday for a client's step-mother, who was celebrating her 62nd birthday with a big shebang. She is a phamacist, so the that was the theme for the cake, along with various shades of pink. I spent a lot of time making little fondant pills of various sizes and colors (as a mom, I have probably violated one of the cardinal rules of parenting in making candy that looks just like medicine, thus confusing the two, but we must sacrifice for our art, non?). Then I formed various pharmacy related shapes, and only then began the baking and assembling. I am telling you, it was more fun than play-doh, which BTW does not taste so good, if I recall correctly from my youth. Fondant is far tastier.


So let's take a look!

This is a top view of the finished cake, and here is a side view, so you can appreciate all the time I spent on the pills!



The client for this cake was a pleasue to work with - she sent me a number of inspiration pictures and a general color scheme, which gave me great direction, but also creative freedom. Did I mention I enjoyed making this cake?


One of the most traditional tools associated with a pharmacist is the mortar and pestle. It took a couple of tries to get it right, but I was really pleased with how it worked out.

The top view is even more fun - I crushed up white jimmies and "glued" them inside (which is the mortar and which is the pestle; I can never remember). I like the realistic look it gave. I also "glued" the two pieces together to protect it in transit. Not to worry, it really is all edible.


I included a bottle of liquid medicine and a spoonful of the stuff, along with a little spill out of the bottle. I used a new technique to make the "liquid" in the spoon shiny - I am really pleased with how it came out.
The pill bottle was also a great challenge. I really worked a number of techniques that I had not really used before, and even made up some of my own. It is filled with some capsules that expanded the color pallette a bit, though I held back on using a couple that I felt were way too out of range.


Here is a view from the other side:

Finally, a prescription with a suitably illegible doctor's signature.


By the way, there really is cake in there! Chocolate chip layer cake (tastes so much like a chocolate chip cookie that it's a little weird!), fudge filling, and vanilla buttercream. The fondant is just the icing on the cake - wait, that make no sense...
Hope you enjoyed, and I hope the birthday girl and her family did too! Mazal tov - Ad meah v'esrim!
Dvora






1 comment:

cookies and cups said...

Love the cake! The details are precious!

If you like the pictures you see here but would love to see more updated photos, make sure to check out our Facebook page! In the meantime, we will do our best to keep the blog a little more current.